Re: [TCML] High voltage glue and ferrite cores

On 11/29/11 12:38 PM, Scott Bogard wrote:
Hi Steve,
      Is there any way one can vacuum pot at home?  As much as I want to
reduce complexity, longevity is a concern for me, I do have some vacuum
equipment for my plasma stuff, but in my head designing a rig to suck in
liquid epoxy or resin or wax or whatever without losing vacuum seems like
it would be a real bear...

not that tough.. you need an intermediate jar/trap to catch any foam/spill over. Pump goes to intermediate bucket, tube goes from bucket to thing being pumped down.

You put whatever is being potted in a (disposable) container inside the main chamber (bell jar, pressure pot, what-have-you), and start to pull the vacuum on it. After a while it has all outgassed, you wait until the potting compound cures, and you break the vacuum, remove your potted widget and you're done.

You also need to be careful about how quickly you apply the full vacuum (foaming is NOT your friend)

The key is having something BIG to put the thing you are potting in and in having the potting substance be really low viscosity (so the bubbles can come out). Mechanical agitation is nice.