Re: [TCML] Looking for Pole Pig Capacitors

Hi Travis,

No, I suppose there really isn't a reason, other
than that it would take a power supply of con-
siderable magnitude to be able to fully charge
a .3 uFd cap, at 14.4 kV (maybe more than the
typical residential, single phase electrical service could
reliably provide), especially with an ARSG churning
out several hundred breaks per second. This is
the typical way in which a classic SG driven, 14.4 kV
pole pig powered coil system is operated. If one was
so inclined to operate their pig powered system
LTR, with an SRSG at 120 BPS, or a DC resonant
charging power supply with a pole pig (ala - Roger Smith),
OR, if you are operating with a lower voltage output pole
pig, then a single unit of this persuation may be your ticket
to success ;^) Amir Mojarradi was looking for a suitable
capacitor in the 0.1 to 0.2 uFd range (and rightfully so
for the size and specs of his coil system, as his coil was
running great w/ 0.14 uFd), so that was the reason for
my suggestion as to the feasability of two of these units
in a series configuration.

Also, I would consider a 50 kV(DC) rating on a commercial
pulse cap to be on the very low end of the acceptable spec limit
for a suitable primary cap in a coil system driven by a 14,400
volt pole pig (especially with the high charge/discharge BPS
duty cycle of an ARSG). As Amir can now handily attest, a
35 kVDC rating is certainly NOT sufficient for a 14.4 kVAC
pole pig power supply! I have also personally experienced
a failure of a 0.1 uFd, 50 kV rated Hipotronics pulse cap
in my Green Monster Tesla coil system and I probably
only got 2-3 hours of total run time out of it before failure.
My GM coil also utilizes a 10 kVA, 240V/14.4 kV pig.
An autopsy revealed that the failure mode of the Hipotronics
cap was strickly dielectric breakdown, due to overvoltage -
NOT over current. The cap unit had no external signs of
internal failure - no case rupture or external bulging/swelling,
and the Hipotronics unit didn't get warm during operation.
I am currently using a 31885 Maxwell 0.1 uFd, 75 kVDC
rated Maxwell pulse cap and have had no more problems.
The 100 kV rating of two 50 kV rated units, in series, should
prove nearly bullet-proof for a 14.4 kV driven system. ;^)

Happy Sparkin',
David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Tabbal" <travis@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Looking for Pole Pig Capacitors

I've been considering one of those for a coil with similar power input. Any
reason .3uf wouldn't work with a properly tuned primary and top load?