Re: [TCML] tesla coil blowers

Thanks, Gary--after 20 years of running my coil I never thought of that. Probably make for longer motor life, too, although in that time I have only had to replace it once. Still, I had egg on my face in the middle of a show. A small step-down autotransformer would work well, too.

---Carl

Vacuum cleaner motors are well suited to building static gaps, because with
a sucker gap, the airflow can be easily and efficiently channeled through
the arcing region.  It's useful to note that only a very small fraction of
the potential airflow of such a motor is actually needed.  With my sucker
gap, I used a lamp dimmer module to throttle down the airflow.  Advancing
the throttle beyond maybe 20% (WAG) showed NO improvement in spark
performance.  Given that full power to the motor is acoustically painful
and drew almost as much power as the NST, I was happy to use less power to
the same result.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA