Re: Re: [TCML] SCR tesla coil

On 16:59, David Petzer wrote:
I would have thought topology would be as follows.
Two SCR's in a half bridge arangement driving a primary coil with a resonant DC blocking capacitor. The upper SCR is fired to conduct current charging the capacitor and the lower SCR is fired after the current zero crossing to conduct current discharging the capacitor. Process is stopped before the SCR current limit is reached. Anti parallel diodes could be added to prevent over volting the SCR's. Two or three in series would probably be needed to ensure the SCR is properly turned off before the freewheel diodes turn on. I do not know if SCR's turn off quickly enough for Tesla coil frequencies though.

The idea that probably works even with a slow SCR is to charge the primary capacitor with DC through a choke and connect it to the primary coil with a single SCR with a fast diode in antiparallel with it. The SCR is simply left turned on during the entire energy transfer transient. These ideas were discussed in the list 10 years ago. I don't remember if someone actually built a practical coil in this way, but variations using an IGBT were surely built.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz