Re: Re: [TCML] Gate drive transformer help

On 16:59, Scott Bogard wrote:
Hi Tyler,
Thanks for the input, I don't think I can get rid of the blocking cap entirely because I will be playing with duty cycle quite a bit, but I will try the gate resistor. I don't know if it makes a difference but when I was probing the leads the transformer was not actually hooked to anything but the power supply, and the probes on the scope, I imagine it will perform better when properly grounded and hooked to a capacitive gate load on the output, so I'll have to try that once I have some time later this week.

A blocking capacitor in series with the primary coil of a GDT will resonate with the primary inductance, causing a lot of ringing at every transition if the capacitor is small, or an oscillatory transient every time when the driver is turned on or off, if the capacitor is big. Better to avoid it, or study carefully the resulting waveforms.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz