[TCML] WG: DC Cox

Dear List,

I relate this story to you reluctantly, in the hope that it prevents some of
you from making the same mistake I did.  As it directly relates to the
practical construction of Tesla coils, I trust it passes moderation
scrutiny.

Earlier this year I contacted Mr. DC Cox, asking if he could provide a Tesla
coil secondary suitable for use with a 15kV/120mA power supply, and ship it
to me.  I live in Switzerland.  Communication with Mr. Cox was poor when I
requested confirmation on the coil specifications, but we finally agreed
upon a configuration and a price - USD $920, delivered.  When I received the
completed coil, it was poorly manufactured - ends not squarely cut, gaps
between turns, portions of the windings were loose on the Sonotube form,
badly and inconsistently applied coating.  As the Sonotube ends contained
holes, it appeared that there were once end-caps, but none were supplied
(nor promised), so it appears this was manufactured for someone else,
perhaps rejected.  But most significantly, the coil was supposed to have
been wound with #24 wire, and the coil delivered was wound with #18 wire.
The lower inductance of the delivered coil, due to the thicker wire, could
not work in my application.

I contacted Mr. Cox and politely detailed the problems.  He insisted the
fault was with the carrier and that I must file a shipping damage claim(!),
but finally agreed on refunding my payment when threatened with TCML List
banishment.  But the refund never arrived.

Below is the email dialog between Mr. Cox and myself, starting at the
bottom, most recent at the top.  I'll let you draw your own conclusions as
to whether you would do business with this individual.  As I understand it,
Mr. Cox is no longer subscribed to the List.

Sincerely,  Fritz W. Egli