Re: [TCML] Pushing a variac beyond rating

On 5/20/11 10:07 AM, Nicholas Hall wrote:
Hello list,

I have a Staco 5A variac that I've used with my 15/30 NST powered coil with
no problems.  I've now upgraded to a 15/60 NST.

I'm wondering how Variacs fail and if it's Ok to overload them for short
periods.  I'm also wondering if keeping it in transformer oil would help.
They fail by overheating: melts the insulation off the windings, for instance..
Yes, it can be overloaded for a short time.

You could, I suppose, put it in oil, but I've never seen it done.

Maybe a cooling fan