Re: [TCML] can I use a dimmer switch to control my coil?

Using a dimmer with an SCR or Triac only kinda-sorta works.  I tried it.
The waveform that it delivers to the NST is not remotely a sine wave so it
is very inefficient and not smooth.

The most important value to using a Variac IMO is that it boosts the maximum
voltage from 120 to 140V, and this results in a VERY big boost in power,
much more than a linear 140V/120V increment would suggest.  Of course a
dimmer can't to that.

Regards,
Gary Lau
MA, USA