Re: [TCML] First (Result Yielding) Light. A Few Questions...

Useful info Brandon, much appreciated.

One theory is that this is caused by a transient which bounces
up and down the coil a few times at the start of each bang.

An example is seen in the voltage gradient in this animation
of a normal TC, k=0.16,

 http://abelian.org/tssp/mag100219/c2.grad.gif

In the first few uS you can see a transient running up and
down the coil.    Easier to see if all the other signals are
subtracted and we just animate the transient waveform,

 http://abelian.org/tssp/mag100219/c2.trans.gif

Wavelength is about a quarter of a secondary length in
this example and could develop a few 10s of kV between the
(travelling) max and min points.  Not much energy to it, but
being a short-range thing, probably doesn't benefit much from
the field control provided by the toroid.

Evidence to confirm this suggestion is lacking, though.
Secondary base current captured into a digital scope would be
essential data.

In this case, maybe lowering the toroid a little will cure the
corona around the top turns, bring the tuning nearer to the
range of the primary, and might help with the racing arcs too.

It would be interesting to model this coil - Brandon, if you
use JavaTC perhaps you can send me JavaTC's description of
the system?

--
Paul Nicholson