Re: 120 VS 240 Re: Re[TCML]MOT Shunts

I don't see the point of removing MOT shunts. If I did then I probably would need a ballast. I've never blown a MOT in this supply but have done so several times in an SISG bipolar supply where there is no filter and HV can sneak back in to the supply and jump from secondary through to earth or to primary.
Peter

-----Original Message----- From: Jon Danniken
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:04 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: 120 VS 240 Re: Re[TCML]MOT Shunts

Peter Terren wrote:
Perhaps I should chirp in here. My 4 MOT's are under oil and I think
I gave them an initial load to heat and vibrate to allow the oil to
spread a bit better.
I also have under oil two paralleled microwave oven mains filters.  I
always run with a Terry filter as well, so I have the output
protection. If I recall the output with resonant rise is some 11 kV for the 4 when
hooked up to the tank cap alone.
It has been rock solid in this application run by a 15A variac without
ballast and currents which I have never really measured well but
typically over 20A.

I guess the Terry filter is the difference.

Peter
http://tesladownunder.com/tesla_coil_4inch.htm#PowerSupply

Hi Peter, nice power supply.  So, what about the shunts in your MOTs, did
you leave them in, or punch them out?

Jon