Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2011 8:51 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: 120 VS 240 Re: Re[TCML]MOT Shunts

Greetings all.
I should clarify, I base my observation that 240V MOTS are better than
120V ones on two factors, firstly, Peter Terren can run a 4 MOT stack
with an ASRSG with no ballast, processing much more power than I can,
whenever I try the same thing, MOTs die, oil or no.  This to me is a
clear indication that the 240V ones are better.  Secondly, this makes
sense, forget about total power output and focus on failure mode, heat,
then think about the wire gage, 240V MOTs use more wire in the primary,
hence less current, hence less heat.  If you drive them hard enough,
they use just as much current but not more (double the output power.)
Look at the wire gage, think of the primary as a heating element, both
primaries are probably the same size gage, so run half the current
through the same wire, or the same current through double the wire, less
heat per transformer in the first case, and more wire per
heat*transformer in the second.  Maybe none of this means anything, but
in my mechanical head it makes sense; besides as I said before, results
show 240 holds up better with no ballast using a 4 stack...  Perhaps I
am completely off and it is 50 vs 60 Hz, saturation which I don't fully
understand, or cosmic neutrinos...  I can't test any of them in any case
myself so who knows.  Anyway just my observation...

Scott Bogard.