Re: [TCML] Neon GFI question

Hi Jay
I have done this.   When I was starting out I bought my first NST on eBay.  It was a 15/30 and the pictures of the unit showed it clearly had not only GFI but some intelligent fault protection that flashed an LED on the case to show what particular problem it had experienced.  The seller said, "No problem, the GFI doesn't work," and I think I got it for $25 (plus some outrageous shipping cost...)   When I got it home I found I could make a Jacob's ladder work for about 20 seconds  and then the LED would start flashing and everything would stop.

I was pretty fed up with myself for having "bought" the item, story and all.   I was a little too humiliated to send it back, so I cut off the rivets holding on the top and I discovered that the whole "intelligent" interrupter was potted in epoxy and separated from the main transformer in a little cardboard cubicle in the corner.  I just cut out the interrupter and the LED and direct connected the input and voila.   Interrupter free NST.  I still have it and have used it in lots of coils.  Still works fine.
Cheers,
Joe