Re: [TCML] Re: MOT Shunts

John Smith wrote:

When I first built my 4 pack It wasn't center tap grounded but not for
long.  After a few runs and researching to get longer sparks, I
realized
that it would be a good Idea.  I didn't fry any transformers then
probably because the coil wasn't run many times before the grounding.

120v to each individual MOT because they are wired in parallel for the
primaries and in series for the secondaries.  Also the MOTs must be
phased correctly to work.  I learned how to make the whole setup from
here:

http://brainrender.com/wardlabs/
Click "Articles" and select "building / testing an MOT stack

Very informative for me.  I basically did everything the same as
explained
on that site.

Here are some pictures of my 6 pack

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/zzerotime1/102_1844.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/zzerotime1/102_1854.jpg

And here is my choke ballast.  No I didn't use the same choke ballast
on this coil as the last because my old one melted!  I used PVC on the
old one and this one is a fiberglass tube from a firework kit. The
design
is exactly the same though.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/zzerotime1/102_1842.jpg

That's 200 ft of 8 AWG wire wrapped around a 1.5 inch tube.  The rods
are welding rods with the flux knocked off and electrical tape
insulating them.
I like them loose instead of a group because it seems to give me more
control. I can adjust the amps to what I want by adding or removing
rods and by watching the ammeter.  I keep it just under 60 amps
because that's all my breaker is rated for and also any more is
probably just asking for trouble.
I am already exceeding the rating on my RFI filter! I need to remedy
that.

That is some impeccable craftsmanship John, I'm impressed. That's got to be the best looking MOT assemblage I have seen.

Were you running your 4 pack at 60A also? I'm wondering if that might have been the reason they burned up, as I am still trying to understand the mechanism behind the overheating you and some other list members have noticed with their shunted MOTs.

Out of curiosity, how many amps is your line filter rated for? I've got a 20A on my otherwise rated 60A variac stack and I'm kind of wondering how far it's going to survive past it's nameplate rating.

Jon