Re: [TCML] MMC Voltage

On 3/14/11 2:02 PM, John Paul Gripp wrote:
I am in the process of building an MMC for a 15kV NST Coil and was wondering
how many 942C20P15K-C caps I should use in series.  According to my
research, it seems I will need 2 or 3 times peak for my total voltage.

Not necessarily.. some of the recommendations are rolling in the rms to peak conversion (e.g. a 15kV NST puts out >20kV peak) and some allowance for resonant rise (if you choose the "wrong" value for the capacitance.

  If
this is true, am looking at 22-32 caps in each string.  Considering the 942C
series can theoretically handle much more than the 2kV rated level, is it
really necessary to use this many caps in each string?  What issues should I
expect if I do not and how likely would they be to occur?   Any suggestion
for a min number of caps in series?

10 caps rated at 2kV should be fine for a 15kV NST. Yes, you're running a bit on the ragged edge, but you're probably ok. 11 caps would be nominally 22kV...