Re: [TCML] Dimmer switch + flyback?

I've not run a flyback off of a dimmer, but I have run one off of a relay rig to apply and remove power at about 40-ish Hz (as fast as the relay could trip.) Results were as Gary mentioned disappointing, you do get sparks, if you hold the HV lead touching the ground, but they are about 1mm long, and cannot be stretched. Sorry this won't work, the frequency is too low. Use a driver like this one on my website.
http://bogard.110mb.com/plasmaglobecircuit.htm
If you want to vary the power, put a 100 ohm potentiometer between the transistor base and your voltage divider. There are a ton of other circuits out there even better than this one (I'm currently working on a circuit based off of an ARDUINO board, with full duty cycle and frequency control, much better for plasma stuff, perhaps not the best for just making sparks or charging capacitors etc.) Try the ZVS for maximum power, they work really good! Best of luck with your project.

Scott Bogard.