Re: [TCML] BIG solid state - Fire Dept Issues

I can throw in my $0.02

Fire departments, operate based upon an abundance of caution, and
understandably, often ignorance.  The last time I ran my 15/60 powered coil
outdoors, several years ago now, was in my driveway.  I had informed all of
the neighbors on my street what I was going to do, but had neglected to tell
old-man McNoseypants around the corner.  It was maybe 5PM, I had run the
coil for maybe a total of 2 minutes, when a hook and ladder truck rolled
down my street and stopped.  The guys get out and start walking up and down
the street.  I run over to them and volunteer "Um, are you here about some
sparks?  A Tesla coil?"   Blank stare.  I point to my driveway.  "That's my
Tesla coil - it makes sparks".  "What is it?"  I briefly explain I built it
for entertainment, to make electrical sparks.  " Would you like to see it
run?"  "OK".  I turn it on, no major reaction from these two fireman, but a
3rd fireman comes running out of the truck, waving his arms, shouting "Shut
it down - Shut it down!!!"

Turns out old-man McNoseypants was able to see my driveway from his house,
and claims that it interfered with his TV.  (I find that hard to believe -
he's on a seperate distribution xfmr, 200 ft away, and I had only run the
coil for a couple minutes)  So he saw the sparks in my driveway, and called
the fire dept.

The firemen had nothing to say about the sparks but gave me a hard time
about causing TV interference and told me to stop it.  Sigh...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA