Re: [TCML] Tungsten electrode thickness

Jay,

Well, if you plan on staying within the "nameplate" 3 kVA

rating of your PT, you'll probably be ok. However, I know

that a true grit coiler is hardly going to be able to resist the

urge to push the real power throughput potential of a PT

and herein may be a problem. ;^) We all know that

PTs and pigs are robust beasts and can easily handle

2 to 3x their nameplate ratings for the relatively low duty

cycles of even "long" coiling runs. (At least that's been

"my" experience). Just "how" extended do you intend

your runs to be and do you plan to keep the power

throughput of your runs at or less than 3 kVA?

I personally use 3/8" diameter x 2" long pure tungsten

rods for the flying electrodes and 1/2" x 3" long pure

tungsten rods for the stationary electrodes of my ARSG

for my Green Monster Tesla coil system. Of course, I

also routinely run >15 kVA through my 10 kVA pig

powered coil, too. I know several list members have

used 1/8" tungsten rods for "propeller" style rotary

gaps and have run power levels in your proposed

range with success (Terry Blake?).  YMMV

David Rieben