[TCML] SRSG setup and adjusting

Hello all,

I finally have my propeller style synchronous rotary spark gap built and I am currently in the process of adjusting the phase for presentations at the peaks of the NST voltage waveform. I currently have it setup with 4 electrodes 90 degrees apart. I have a safety gap across the RSG as well as a "Terry Filter" safety gap. Please check out my blog for some visuals: theteslaplace.blogspot.com

Here is my first question: can adjustments be made with the RSG connected to the NST only or does the RSG need the tesla coil loading for valid tuning? I have the Freau phase controller and I can get the RSG to arc on all 4 electrodes as well as just 2 electrodes but I haven't been able to find a phase setting (yet) that I can turn the NST voltage up all of the way and not get the safety gaps to fire. I have just started trying to rotate the motor in its mount and haven't found the sweet spot yet (I have a Teletype motor). So is it valid to adjust the phase without the primary/secondary circuit?

The second question I have is about the motor behavior through phase tuning. When I have the variac that is adjusting the phase set with 90% of the windings in use, the motor will actually stop running (a bad situation). This is a variac that I had to repair and at the full winding position there is about 15 ohms of resistance. Is the motor simply being undervolted at this point or can an extreme phase cause the motor to drop out? My first thought is that it is not getting enough voltage at the full variac setting (I'll monitor that).

Sorry for the long email. Rotary spark gaps are a new thing for me. I really appreciate any help! Thanks!

Jeremy
Cincinnati, OH
Sent from my BlackBerry device from Cincinnati Bell Wireless