Re: [TCML] Q: Why won't this work better?

I'd suspect the spark gap, honestly for a cap size that large I think you would do best to use a sync rotary, the maximum bang for your buck for an nst system. Probably not quenching properly, and it has to be getting hot, even with the fan. Once you do that, then you can fine tune coupling and primary tuning, that is where the rest of your performance is hiding, but until you get a good quench it really won't matter that much. Keep in mind though, I've never built an nst coil, and my obit coils never really took off (though I should try again knowing what I know now, and use my sync gap) so I am speaking from mostly MOT experience, and may be off base... Good luck.

Scott Bogard.
http://bogard.110mb.com/TeslaCoil.htm