Re: [TCML] DRSSTC weird waveform behavior

It may be also that if there is no dead time between phases the top devices will turn on for a split microsecond before the bottom ones turn off, leading to a large current spike (known as shoot-through). A half-uS of dead time or so will take care of this. It also appears that there may not be adequate power supply bypassing--you need a big honkin' cap to feed the bridge. The gate drive should have only enough resistance to avoid oscillation in the gate waveform, normally less than an ohm. Even more important is to minimize the gate drive inductance, which means VERY short and wide leads from the driver to the gate.

---Crl

Justin forgot to mention that he has gate resistors bypassed by UF
diodes so his effective turn-on resistance is 10ohms and turn-off
resistance is 0ohms. Phase lead feedback is good idea but still you
dont need blistering fast switching speed.

V = L * dI/dt should explain why slowing down is good idea. I have
CM300 drsstc engine and i run my gates at little over 1µs rise time at
60kHz. It has been tested up to 1800Apk without any troubles. After
crude phase lead adjustment i still had some overshoot at gates and
inverter output + some common mode noise issues. All that went away
when i reduced switching speed by factor of 3 or something like that.
My current way to determine "good enough" switching speed is to slow
it down untill switching losses become problem and and then speed it
up just a little bit.

These large power bricks have pretty large internal inductance too
(easily 50-100nH) and there is nothing you can do about it. Switching
too fast may excite these inductances in resonance with dc bus

Just my 0.02euros

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6258 (20110701) __________

http://www.eset.com