RE: [TCML] Sync gap setup

Brad,
Well by my reckoning that electrode arrangement also gives 120bps.  I have
only ever been involved with 50Hz and at that freq 100bps (twice line
frequency) can give some wild voltages (200bps and bigger behave completely
different and allow resonant charging by tuning the ballast and cap value -
see Richie Burnett site)
So I presume that the 120 bps figure is the equivalent frequency for you
(twice line frequency) , if  so the resonant rise will still be an issue.
Make sure your safety is adjusted!

Cap size is dependent on mains frequency and also does not seem to follow
logical rules. IF you were 50Hz then it may only be 10 - 20uF, but John
Freau in a post last year suggested that with 60 Hz the values need to be
quite a bit larger than their 50Hz alternatives.

Probably been mentioned by now - but use motor #run# caps, not 'start' caps.

Regards
Phil

www.hvtesla.com