Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:26 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] aluminum for faraday suit ?

On 1/8/11 10:02 AM, Paul Bidmead wrote:
hi,

just on my semi-educated opinion( and i may be wrong) but wouldn't the
inherently high oxide layer on aluminum cause large contact resistance
between rings?
maybe not high enough to cause significant voltage drop but its
certainly (as i see it) higher than shiny steel would be. again i could
be wrong.

one could use a chemical conversion coating (e.g. iridite) that leaves
the surface conductive.

One could also use a flexible mesh.

The chain mail approach is handy because the technology and skill set is
already there for, e.g., shark suits, so you're not starting from zero.
 ANd, it looks cool.  Most people building a faraday suit in connection
with a Tesla coil are doing it in an entertainment application, and
showmanship is part of the game.

 But, there are lots of ways to make a flexible conductive surface that
is light weight and can take the high localized current density from a
streamer.

After all, the average secondary current on a TC is pretty low... a
10kVA coil has say 10kV at 1 Amp in the primary (average), and maybe
10-50mA in a given secondary streamer. Even if the conductive suit has a
moderately high resistance, the voltage across the suit isn't going to
be that high.  Heck, if it was 10 ohms from head to toe, and you took 1
Amp, that's only 10V drop, and you'd not even feel it.

The trick is: a) you don't want to have something that will burn a hole
where the spark hits; b) you don't want something that will melt and/or
catch fire.

I would look at metalized fiberglass or ceramic cloth, and do multiple
thin layers, alternating conductive and insulating. You could probably
find a jumpsuit pattern on the web, or at your local fabric store, and
it's then mostly a matter of sewing machine work.  I'd look at making
sure the darn thing is comfortable to wear, too.  Picking the right
liner fabric would help.

One might look at the conductive suits used by workers on high power RF
systems (antennas/towers).  They're much more conductive than, say, ESD
smocks.

http://euclidgarment.com/KVGARD/KVGard.html
http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/lineman/accessories/suit.asp

not to mention
Jeff Messer's patent
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7817401.html

Lots of information in the recitations at the beginning of the patent on
conductive suits.