Re: [TCML] Beginning Tesla Design

> Here is an idea that might satisfy (& scare?) your teacher.
> This came from gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> and was published in this list in Dec 2007.

>> Replace your top load with a pie pan from your kitchen.
>> Put about 1/4 cup of alcohol in the pie pan.  Not rubbing
>> alcohol: it contains water.  Buy some alcohol from the
>> paint store it is 100% alcohol.  Ignite the alcohol it will
>> burn a nice blue flame only about 4" above the pan.
>> Turn on the Tesla Coil it turns into a 36" ball of what
>> appears to be millions of micro size blue sparks forming
>> out of the pie pan.  When the alcohol burns away, about
>> 20 seconds, the sparks go down to normal type TC streamers.
>> I have done this with my 4" TC.

    Hmmmm.  I do professional pyrotechnics & this seems
    a tad risky/disaster prone.  I may be being over cautious.
    (spilled alcohol mixing with spark gap, etc...)

    For unpublished results, occurs to me some reading
    on electrophorus, building and charging one with a
    block of paraffin and seeing what happens would be
    newish.  Compare to other insulators?

best
 New dwp:     dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx