Re: [TCML] New 12" secondary

Hi Joe,
I just saw your new secondary (I've been in Las Vegas for the past week). Looks good. I wish I had known that your were scrounging for 18Ga wire because I have about 50 pounds of the good stuff (double build) that I'll probably never use. I bought it for $2.50/lb way back when copper didn't cost an arm and a leg. If you ever need to make another secondary, let me know. It sounds as if your next project is going to be the solid state coil. For that you're going to need a smaller gage wire (I used #26) to keep the turn count high enough to drop the frequency down to something close to the max switching freq of your selected IGBT. When it comes time to wind the gate transformers I have some ferrite cores left over from my project which can also be used for the current feedback loop transformers. These are slightly larger than the cores specified by Steve Ward which is actually a good thing as it makes it easier to wind and in the case of the current transformers, increases the clearance between the windings and the primary conductor which can get hot enough to melt the insulation on the transformer windings. Ask me how I know this. Let me know when you're ready to show off the new coil and I'll try to make it down there for the show.

Dave