Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] A couple of questions - bipolar earthing.

Yes, a bipolar coil does need the base connection earthed.
I have blown a couple of MOT's before I realised this.
While a bipolar coil develops a potential between the two coils there is still a capacitance between each toroid and the ground which will try to get back into your equipment to the base of the TC. An inch or two of spark it might be controllable particularly when there are sparks between the two toroids lower the voltage. But try to run streamers and that will be a different matter. And if the toroid gets close to ground or a grounded object then you are guaranteed a flashover from secondary to primary.

Peter
tesladownunder.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <mrapol@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:20 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] A couple of questions

A bipolar coil does not need a ground connection. That's one reason I chose to build one as my first coil.

(mrapol at frontier dot com)

Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "B McPeak" <bmcpeak363@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:21 AM

Paul,
Thanks for the help!
One question... I think I saw somewhere that a Bi-polar coil does not need a ground? Or does not need an earth ground?
Thanks,