Re: [TCML] Basic Circuit Question

You are quite right. Or are you?
I dashed off the quick reply while at work, concentrating on other things
and what I had meant to say was the spark gap.
BUT
That is the conventional explanation but might it just be dogma and overly
simplistic?
Consider this.  Will that arrangement really prevent resonant rise (of tank
cap vs supply transformer) in an RSG configuration as you say?
Static gap perhaps but not with an SRSG. And not with a fast ARSG either,
which wouldn't allow rise in either situation.
Secondly, consider that all my big coils (4 MOT and dual PT) have the cap
across supply.
I achieve spark length of 3 times secondary winding length on my 6 inch coil
(96" from 32") and 2.6 on my 18 inch coil (132" from 51").
These coils have been running in this manner with cap across transformer for
years.
So which is best?
My 2 cent's worth? Do that for a fragile NST system which might be the right
thing.
For big systems I suspect it doesn't matter and in my poorly documented
experience in one days experimentation many years ago, may even be better.

Cheers
Peter  www.tesladownunder.com

-----Original Message----- From: Dr.Hankenstein
Are you sure you didn't mean that it is correct to place the spark gap
across the transformer? All my spark gap coils including the big one
http://www.audiotesla.org/images/Zotzilla%20Pictures/zotzilla%20web%20images
/IMG_5054.jpg  Have the spark gap directly across the power transformer.
This technique helps prevent over voltage of the transformer HV winding.
Suitable RF transient protection should be employed ahead of the
transformer, of course. Connecting capacitor across xfmr may cause dangerous
resonant rise.
Hank