Re: [TCML] Basic Circuit Question

I would agree that the gap should be in parallel with the transformer.  But
either configuration is equally vulnerable to resonant rise.  The difference
is that when the gap is in parallel with the transformer, during the
interval when the gap is conducting and the tank circuit is ringing with RF,
the now-shorted gap is effectively shielding the transformer from the RF.
The difference comes down to how much RF energy the transformer is exposed
to.  Performance-wise, the two circuits are equivalent.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA