Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

Capacitors are NOT typically used in a Jacobs Ladder.  Putting a cap in
parallel with the NST and electrodes will make for a much louder sound, and
it may also result in a brighter arc.  However, this circuit can easily
result in the destruction of the NST if the cap value is remotely near the
mains-resonant value, because the gap on a JL is by definition, wide open.

I have seen a very impressive display that creates VERY long arcs using a
ballasted pole pig and a series-connected capacitor.  I suspect that this
would also result in over-voltage damage to an NST so I wouldn't recommend
this either.

I would recommend against using copper tubing for the electrodes.  You need
the electrodes to be straight and rigid, and copper tubing is neither.
Instead, go to Home Depot and get some 3 ft 1/8" steel rods, in the hardware
aisle.

For "special effects", I've found that common table salt applied to
moistened electrodes results in the brightest colors - even more-so than
strontium salts.  And skewered baby carrots yield a surprisingly bright and
colorful arc.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:39 AM, David Steinberg <david.steinberg@xxxxxxxxxx