From: "Jon Danniken" <danniken@xxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2011 10:40:10 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] MOT stacks

jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Alright so it looks like its a good idea to match them somewhat, but
> not necessary for series operation.
> But necessary for parallel operation.
> I was planning on removing the shunts and ballasting it.
>

> I was wanting to parallel them for future expansion. I am planning on
> working my way up the power level ladder. So I can at least do some
> testing of my system while I search for a higher voltage capacitor
> allowing me to utilize my potential transformer.

What I have noticed in paralleling MOTs is that it is the primary
current/voltage which is the critical factor to match, especially if you are
parallelilng three of them (at 240VAC as is available in the US) in order to
run each one at 2/3 rated voltage so that they are not oversaturated. The
only way to to this realistically is to short the secondaries and put a
meter on each primary, due to the unpredictable nature of MOTs running close
to saturation.

Perhaps another method would be to individually test each MOT by shorting
the secondary and measuring the primary current at the 2/3 line voltage.

Jon