Re: [TCML] MOT stacks

It's not necessary to exactly match MOTs to make an effective MOT stack.  I've been hoarding MOTs for years, and my collection now numbers 39.  In this amazing mass of iron and copper, I have only 3 matched pairs, and none of the pairs match any other pair.

I've built a number of dual MOT power supplies over the years--always matched--but only for aesthetics and because I could--not for electrical necessity.  I've only built one 4 MOT stack myself, but I've studied several 4 & 6 MOT stacks built by others (via web surfing).  Build quality varied from fine craftsmanship to absolute cobbled-together, dangerous-looking junk.  Some featured identical-looking MOTs, but most didn't.  Every example I studied worked, as did my own stack.

Out of a combination of boredom and curiosity, I cataloged my MOT stash a few months back.  I numbered each MOT, then measured core cross-sectional area, and primary & secondary resistance & inductance.  I plugged these measurements into an Excel spreadsheet and arranged my collection by properties rather than appearance.  Oddly enough, I found no connection between outward appearance and measured properties.  However, MOTs with identical manufacturer part numbers do have nearly identical measurements, as one would expect.  I haven't built a 4 or 6 MOT stack since the 1990's, but if I ever build a new one, it will be with electrically matched MOTs, regardless of outward appearance.  Again, the MOT matching will be because I can, not because I think it matters.

Cheers,

Gregory R. Hunter