Re: [TCML] TCs in old movies

On 12/2/11 11:33 AM, mrapol@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Neat. I like the high voltage equipment in "The Devil Commands," which
has that cool art-deco look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgUHLpwxNvk

At 1/:15 Oscar winner Anne Revere holds some bad-ass electrodes. She
looks genuinely frightened!

Given the somewhat casual attitude towards safety in the movie biz (esp back then), her expression probably isn't acting. "Here, hold these two things and don't let them touch anything because if you do, you'll die"

And given that this was almost certainly recorded without sound (MOS is the term of art), the spark was probably pretty loud. The arc sound was added in post.

It might have been composited, though. You don't see any light on her face from the sparks. The other thing is that this was shot at 24fps, and the spark was probably at 60Hz, so you'd expect to see some beating.

I imagine that the HV effects in this are all Strickfadden's work..