Re: [TCML] HV resistor

On 4/15/11 9:16 AM, S&JY wrote:
Jay,

You can make your own with a foot or two of vinyl tubing filled with water
(experiment with a mix of tap and distilled to get the value you need).
Just have a way to allow for expansion as the liquid gets warm.  I seem to
remember Jim Lux posted something about this years ago.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/rwater.htm

Also, a string of dozens of resistors in series works very well, can handle
high power and voltage (distributed) and is inexpensive.
I use 2W resistors (good for 1000V maybe twice that in air) and just string em up. Be careful about power dissipation... go for a dissipation <1/2 watt each. at 1000V, that means the resistor has to be at least 2Meg. 1000V across a 470k resistor burns it up in a short time.