Re: [TCML] "Means for increasing the intensity of electricaloscillations" The Tesla Superconductor of 1901

On 4/12/11 7:31 AM, chris elfert wrote:
  As I was not even thinking about creating a superconductor out of copper, but just lowering the resistance a measurable amout for testing purposes to see if there really was a measurable difference. I had the thought that if a secondary was filled with dry ice, it would be easy to handle not being liquid, and the CO2 vapors will mostly follow the primary down the side being heavier than air. This also can quench some of the corona, as well as drop around the primary winding, cooling that as well.
   Gary is correct that the biggest losses are in the spark gap and primary circuit, so a SG coil may only see some improvement with a cooler temperature. I would assume then that the greatest gains would be found in an SSTC setup where switching losses are at the minimum achievable. I had only brought up the superconductor name because it is a research that shows a change in resistance of materials at lower temperatures.

You could do the experiment another way by winding two secondaries with the same number of turns per inch and with different kinds of wire (aluminum and copper) or with different wire diameters.

On the other hand, the experiment with cryogens (dry ice or LN2) would be a heck of a lot of fun. Lots of tricky side issues to consider (condensation and frost... might have to build a big plastic bag around it to fill with dry gas of some sort)