[TCML] Tesla's topload

I have been wondering lately...why does Tesla's patent 1119732 and other designs show the topload with a surface covered in rounded bumps?  I assume that this prevented breakout to some extent as he was intending to create a corona effect according to the patents.  His intent was wireless transmission of energy.  We design our coils for a light show.

Has anyone ever tried to re-create the surface indicated by his designs?  If so, what was the effect as compared to the smooth toroid with and without a single breakout point?

T.J.Wenzel