From: Scott Bogard <sdbogard@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 11:36 am
Subject: [TCML] high break rates

Greetings all,
   Has anyone done a study as to at what point your spark gap losses overcome spark growth from break rate repetition.  I ask because someone off list asked me if they could use a 40 nF capacitor on a twin MOT coil with no doubler, by my experience I get best performance (and Java TC predicts) at around 700 BPS with an 80 nF cap, so by my reckoning considering he has the same charging current and voltage, and as such will need to use twice the break rate to get sparks as long as myself, 1400 BPS seems very high though.  I told him to redesign his capacitor and primary but since he is building his own he seems disinclined to do that.  Anyway back on topic has anyone played with systems that use extreme break rates like this, and will losses overcome any performance gain?  Thanks.

Scott Bogard.