Re: [TCML] Coil V4 fail

Joe,

Another thing to consider is that your coil may have been
over-coupled for the input power.  Also, your toroid size
is limiting your spark length.  If' you're putting in about
4800 watts, then the coil should be able to produce
almost 10 foot sparks.  But to do that you'd need an
8" x 30" toroid.  This toroid should be placed above
your existing toroids, to raise it up as high as
possible to prevent ground strikes, and strikes
to your primary.   The corregated aluminum dryer hose
type toroid will work OK.  However I'm not sure if your
secondary coil will withstand the stresses with
such long sparks.  It may be better if the secondary
was at least 30" tall.  But I think some folks have
obtained spark lengths almost 5X the secondary length.
A high break rate may help for getting a long spark
from a short secondary, due to the smaller bang size.

I assume you used a variable speed motor for you
ARSG?  If not, then the break rate may be too
close to a multiple of the 60Hz rate, and the coil
may be pulsing.  Putting in the resistors may have
reduced your current draw and slightly altered the
speed of the ARSG.... and thereby stopped or
minimized the pulsing effect.  Ideally you want
a variable speed motor for an ARSG.  I don't
remember if you used such, I wasn't following
the thread.

Cheers,
John