[TCML] loss question

Hello!  Been quite a few years since I've posted, but I do keep up reading the list!

I've been rewiring, grounding and restoring antique violet ray devices for a number of years.  These were quite popular as 'medical' equipment 90 years ago.  They are generally two parts with the magnet coil, interrupter and capacitor residing in a separate electrical box, extending to a handle containing the other coil, and ending in a jack for the noble gas discharge tubes in different shapes.  The tubes light up beautifully and deliver a nice sized spark, sometimes up to 1 inch.

I've tried getting creative with some and putting all the components in the box, with a 4'-6' cable running out that serves just to attach to the jack which holds the glass tubes. For some machines that are missing their original handles it's been kind of necessary as well.  Here's the dilemma:

The cable seems to carry the voltage without any loss; the length of streamer from the far end of the cable is as long as it is coming directly from the coil.  If I use a metal electrode in place of a glass one, there is also no perceived loss.  BUT when I use a glass discharge tube at the far end of the cable, the loss is evident, spark is bafflingly small and some tubes will barely light up.

Does anyone have an idea of what is happening here?  I'm getting SOME kind of loss; and how could I try to counter it?