Re: [TCML] Propeller-Style SRSG eats Tungsten Rods @ 10kVA

Wow - I think the hardware alone used to hold together the Lexan enclosure,
weighs more than my entire coil.  Well, maybe not, but I'd sure hate to
notice something inside the enclosure that needed fixing after I just
buttoned it up!

I wonder what the thinking is on the 13M propeller blade design?  The nice
thing about the propeller design as popularized by Terry Blake is that the
blade itself couldn't be simpler.  But the "blade" on the 13M seems to be a
very specialized, purpose-build assembly, and not as aerodynamic as I would
have guessed.

I like the 13M's attempt to create a line on the electrodes, rather than a
point, where the arc occurs.  I would guess that this would improve
quenching as well as reduce electrode erosion.  Before I achieved success
with my propeller gap, I attempted to build a SRSG using a Lexan disk with
two 3/4" copper pipe segments as rotating electrodes.  The pipes stuck out
about 1.5" from either side of the disk, and I had two stationary electrode
pipes that arced to the two sides of the rotating pipes - kind of a rotary
cylinder gap where the arcing was to occur in a line along the sides of the
pipes.  Unfortunately I had only the Teletype motor, and the Lexan disk and
pipes were too massive to spin up for my small motor.

Has anyone ever build a rotary gap, with tungsten rods inserted midway
through a disk, but with the stationary electrodes arcing to the *sides* of
the rotating electrodes?  While this places a greater importance on the
precision of the radial placement of the disk electrodes, I think this would
be a win-win in terms of quenching and electrode erosion.  I wonder if the
arcing would occur randomly along the length of the rods as it does on
cylinder gaps, or if a temperature gradient along the length of the rods
might bias the arcing towards the warmer free ends?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA