Re: [TCML] Electric Fence, NST's, and squirrels [or another use for bad NST's]

Simplest solution is a 22 rifle shooting shorts. Almost no noise and solution is permanent. I've mentioned before the electric fence I built to protect the back lawn from skunks and possums. Half of an 8 kV, 60 ma NST [other half was shorted]. Ran #26 wires around the lawn at about 6" and 15", mounted on PVC pipe. System had a sort of ground fault indicator which shut off power after 15 seconds of ground current. A light across the NST primary would go out when the circuit was interrupted and that was a sign for my wife an me to go through a routine [these are nocturnal beasts so it was usually about 1:00 AM]. Wife holds big plastic trash bag open while I pick up corpse with smaller plastic bags over my hands and drop it in the big bag, which is immediately tied shut to cut down on the odor. Tied inside a second bag and put out on street for humane society to pick up. The guy from the humane society told me wife that 'I know what you have in the back yard and it's illegal but wish everyone had one". Once a trash scavenger picked up such a bag before the humane sociaty got there. I'd have given a lot to be around when he opened it!!!!!

Another very permanent solution and I have plenty of pictures to prove it. According to my 1937 book on neon signs NST's aren't dangerous but I wouldn't want to get across one and found out experimentally. Suspect the author didn't run any personal tests!

Ed

Gary Lau wrote:

If I may test the boundaries of being on-topic (this does pertain to
NST's)...

I have squirrel problems.  Normally they're just cute lawn-rats, attracted
to the abundant supply of acorns raining down from our oak trees.  But with
autumn here, I cannot put a pumpkin on our porch, uncarved, without the
varmints chewing through it and spilling its guts all over the porch, in
search of seeds.  How do they know...?

Zapping the critters to teach 'em a lesson comes to mind, having so many
NST's kicking about.  But I clearly don't want to set up anything lethal or
dangerous to humans on my porch.  I know that electric fences for animal
control use brief pulsing so as to not be lethal.  Voltage/current unknown.
Does anyone know how I might adapt a small NST for this purpose?

And if anyone knows of any non-electric but effective squirrel
countermeasures, let me know, off-list?

Thanks, Gary Lau
MA, USA