Re: [TCML] new pig driven coil

Hi Joe,
Just use what you have, mine is a propeller gap and I've had no troubles running about 2.5kW, I've already ran a coil so long as to eat away a full 1/8 of an inch in one run, it actually reaches a sweet spot during the run and begins to diminish as it runs longer (indicating I need better quenching, which is hard to do using only 4kV.) I'm actually using brass now as it was what I had on hand at the time and I never got around to swapping it out for better. If you are concerned just put a TCBOR (aka Richard Quick) gap in series with a blower, this will greatly cut down on tungsten erosion and provide top notch quenching (no pun intended.) Also keep in mind Pigs are much more robust than NSTs, and you likely don't need to worry about over volting them (they are tested to withstand actual lightning strikes, so a slightly wider gap won't hurt in the least.) The other thing is using an ASRSG you will be firing the capacitor when it is only about 60% full optimally, so that will actually be lower than what you will get with a static or sync gap. I've never built a disk gap, too pricey for me! Best of luck whatever you decide.

Scott Bogard.