Re: metrology Re: [TCML] Re: Dummy load for optimum cap sizeExperimentation

Out of Dave Pierson's answer to Gary Lau:

<snip>
there can be a significant difference between the two meters
(113V vs. 120V).  I'm speculating that this is due to the loaded
Variac output waveform being distorted,
   Quite Possible.  Once saw my lab instructor get fooled Real Good
   by similar.  I Omit the details as nonTC, tho its a dandy tale of
   the potential pitfalls of metering...

and the two meters see this differently.
   Just so.  By Definition (and physics...) moving coil meters
   are _average_ responding.  Scales may be marked 'RMS', however
   if the fine print be read:
      RMS ASSUMING A SINE WAVE is being measured.
   If not sine wave: all bets are off.  Period.

   (Exceptions, obviously for fancy electronic, or hotwire
   converters, to give 'RMS'.)

<snip>

...a sometimes almost forgotten analog instrument is the
moving iron meter, which I like to use for some simple app's,
despite the somewhat lower precision and nonlinear scale:
it has one big advantage: by physical principle,

it's measuring the true RMS value of voltages and

currents in A.C. networks with independence of

their waveform.

...in limited frequency range. Please have a look at the following links for more info:

http://www.microtherm-international.com/upload/mediapool/ec.pdf

http://www.google.ch/#hl=de&source=hp&biw=1076&bih=801&q=%09+moving+iron+instrument&btnG=Google-Suche&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%09+moving+iron+instrument&gs_rfai=&fp=4d7d8a48680024b

http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/courses/Webcourse-contents/IIT%20Kharagpur/Basic%20Electrical%20Technology/pdf/L-42%28GDR%29%28ET%29%20%28%28EE%29NPTEL%29.pdf

Best regards