RE: [TCML] Frying cars with Tesla coils

Could be that the earlier ECM's were more ESD-sensitive. I was part of a
special-effect demo involving zapping a car directly with the discharge.
We used a late-model Toyota, multiple strikes to it didn't faze it one
bit, then also with the client's new car model - again, repeated strikes
and it started right up without a problem. (Twice - once for rehersal,
then the actual show.)

- b

> I was running my large maggie in my workshop a few years ago at a very
> reduced power. It was outputting about a 5-6' long corona. My 2001 Ford
> pickup was parked about 10 feet away (also inside the workshop). As the
> tuning progressed, I didn't notice how near to the truck the sparks were
> getting. Then I saw a very thin spark touch the drivers mirror (as you
> know,
> there are turn signal lamps in the mirrors). This carried the high voltage
> into the trucks circuitry. I knew this was a "bad thing". This one spark
> completely killed my truck. It blew the keyless entry module, dash (part
> of
> anti-theft) and the ECM. I have all the necessary diagnostic equipment and
> troubleshot all of the bad parts. The repair parts (from a junkyard) not
> the
> stealership, cost more than $1500. My truck also has a killer stereo in
> it,
> thankfully it wasn't fried. Now, I always move all vehicles back to a safe
> distance. In Bert's case, it's better to be lucky than good. James

>>> from the coil itself.  The computer had to be replaced, i dont recall