Re: [TCML] Fried It !

Generally speaking, I think a car is a good faraday cage resting on rubber insulators.  I've seen plenty of demos where they zap cars with big spark generators, even with people inside (not touching any of the interior metallics) and other than some paint bubbling, there is usually no problem.

I have friends back in the east coast who have been hit by lighting while in their vehicle and they drive away.  I have been in airplanes flying through clouds and hit by lightning.  Not that I would recommend it or volunteer to do it regularly, but we kept on flying (though the co-pilot came back to ask us if we saw where the bolt hit, and he said he was looking for holes in the fuselage - which didn't make me feel great about overall plane-hit-by-lightning safety).

And, I have even zapped (unintentionally) my own vehicles with my pig-powered coils, and didn't even mar the finish.  However, I did note there was a significant charge build up on the vehicle and I got quite a shock when I turned off the coil and touched the car.  But even that bleeds off after a minute.

So I seriously doubt any accidental hobby-coil spark hits would do any damage to a modern steel-body vehicle.

However - if you have a fiberglass Corvette...mebe you want to move that away from your tesla coil....

Joe