Re: [TCML] party cup capacitors

Brian Hall wrote:
Would stackable cups/plates of a good dielectric strength work better? Such as thicker plastic, or those styrofoam coffee cups, or even glass cups? I remember someone posted a while back about a coil made decades ago, where the cap was tin foil glued to either side of a window pane .. and it worked. Though I have burned through glass with a raw 15/30 NST at full power ...

Naahh..

As others have pointed out.. by the time you count the hassle and mess..

Beer bottles in a bucket is the cheapest easiest way
After that go with MMCs, unless you get a really, really good deal (as in free) on something like ceramic doorknobs (which shift C with temperature as they run, and aren't that tough, anyway)

ANd after that, go with some commercial cap like a Maxwell of appropriate ratings.

You can build your own rolled poly cap, and I respect those who do, but it's definitely a trading time for money situation, and there's a lot that can go wrong in the build process.