From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Finn Hammer
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 10:57 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Safety Issuie

On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:10:17 +0200, DC Cox <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> No, don't run it with a pan of water replacing the sec coil.  The
normal
> sec
> provides a certain characteristic impedance load for the pri ---
trying
> operate with any sec will produce a very high Q factor in the primary
> circuit which in turn produces overpotentials that would, in short
order,
> damage your cap or xmfr.
>
> I'm not sure of the exact impedance of a pan of water, but sounds like
> possible short circuit which would lead to the same problem.
>
> Best to have the proper sec coil in place when opr your TC or testing.
>
> Dr. Resonance

DC,

I may be misunderstanding your point, but it reads to me as if you are
claiming, that coupling the primary into a short, creates a high Q in
the
primary?

European coilers, like Steve Conner and myself, have been boiling water

off shallow pans, coupled to both OLTC and DRSSTC primary's, with no ill

effect to cap or silicon.

So, everybody: Go ahead, boil your soup on your TC, it is a lot of fun!

But first of all, a nice and safe way to get rid if a lot of power,
during
initial tests of a system.

Cheers, Finn Hammer