Re: [TCML] Measuring Voltage?

Voltmeters off X ray machines are NOT rated to the voltage indicated on the scale. They are a low voltage meter that is fed from a voltage divider circuit. You can apply low voltage DC and determine what the actual rating of the meter is and also the resistance and then make a voltage divider to match the scale.

If you think about it, IF the meter actually was rated at the voltage indicated, it would have a thick case and highly insulated connections to withstand the rating.

Normally the voltmeter is tapped off a bleed resistor to ground. Depending on the X ray machine, the HV transformer may be center tapped to ground with the ammeter connected to one leg of the taps and the voltmeter connected to a series, tapped dropping resistor off the HV side and the meter is on the resistance tap closest to ground so a failure will not present a serious shock hazard to the meter itself.

If you want to use the meter on DC, you need a divider circuit like the old TV HV probes had, usually around 100 meg and 1 meg, just depends on the ohms per volt of your meter.

Rectifying the voltage will give you a peak reading and not the actual rms value. You basically would have to divide the meter reading by .707 to obtain a correct AC reading.

On the coil side, that is RF energy and you need entirely different measuring equipment. Normally some sort of hot wire or thermocouple type meter is needed.

Frank