Re: [TCML] Joining two 25 foot rolls of copper tubing

New dwp:     dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx

> I have two 25 foot rolls of 1/4 copper tubing. I could not see how it
> might be possible to join the two rolls to make a spiral primary. So
> I ordered a 50 foot roll. But I'm curious if anyone has joined two
> such rolls?
    I haven't, however have done analagous things in plumbing,
    in the old solder copper pipes days, albeit with larger
    tubing.  Generally 1/4" dia tubing is joined with 'compression
    fittings', not real applicable here.

    Larger bore plumbing uses 'sweat soldering' of purpose
    designed couplings.  If of interest, will describe,
    tho hopefully better description on the web somewhere?
    trick would be to find 'coupling fitting', likely have
    to fake one with slightly larger tubing.  Some ways
    simpler than plumbing work: no need to be water tight.

    Another approach would be to sweat solder a solid 'pin',
    snug fit to the bore of the tube, mebbe an inch long?

    a third would be to file/etc mating 'dovetail' joints,
    then try to 'butt solder'.  weakish.

    ANY of these will leave a mild bulge, tho last two not
    so much: I'd not expect problems, tho, if turns are close..

    ANY would want care in filing/sanding afterwards, to smooth
    out potential Corona Points.

    ANY would create more or less stiff/hard spot: bending to
    form winding would want care.

    If any better suggestions offered, so much the better.

    best
     dwp