Re: [TCML] RE: Splicing wires - Secondary Coil

I would strongly suspect inter-turn breakdown as there is only half the level of insulation. Even worse is the corona point of the splice to eat through to the adjacent turns insulation (rather than a smooth wire surface). Failure likely if you are running your coil on the edge. No maths involved and nothing to do with self tuning.

If I splice I pull a whole extra turn out to give the extra insulation space. The gap looks crap on my big TC but no failures. (I have 3 gaps of them like growth rings).
Ouch if it involves 100 coils.

Peter
www.tesladownunder.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "McCauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>
Steve,
And I don't have any measurements handy, but I have plenty of bad experience with splices. Just last year, I had a magnetics house down in Mexico wind 100 small coils for a customer of mine. These were for a small self-tuning SSTC coil. After having each of the first (5) coils I tested fail about 85% up the coil, i began to suspect that something was amuck. Upon close inspection of the coils, i noticed a splice point. After some discussions with the manufacturer, it was determined that the coils were all wound initially, but too short, so they decided to splice and continue winding the coil to spec.

Now electrically (with LCR meter), these spliced secondaries measured just fine, and from visual inspection, you would never even notice the splice unless you used a magnifying instrument. But when connected to a self-tuning driver, they all failed at that splice point.

Now I certaintly don't claim to know all the theoretical and mathematical explanations to why this occurred, and I'm *certaintly* open to suggestions from other people regarding this, but I do know that they were all failing at this point, and the only thing I can think of is some sort of impedance discontinuity due to the splicing causing this problem.

So again, its my opinion that if you have a self-resonant system, i don't recommend splicing your secondaries.

Daniel McCauley
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com
DRSSTC, SSTC, Flyback Kits and Components!