Re: [TCML] General Questions About a Pig PoweredCoil (andanIntroduction)

Thomas Schmit wrote:
Hi Phil -
I can remove the tailstock if I need to. At 200 lbs, it's not something that one does on a whim ;-). I do have a steady rest that should be able to incoporate up to 10" diameter. With that on the end of the lathe, I gain about another 18" so my 30" bed becomes 48". With the clever "extender" on the tool post, I could probably wind up to 60" without much trouble... Tom

probably overkill..

(actually, I found winding a secondary on a lathe kind of hard, because of the rotating mass)

Recruit a friend, use an electric drill as the motor. One of you feeds the wire, the other runs the drill at an appropriate speed.

A long piece of rod or allthread works as an axle.

Make some wooden "v blocks" to hold the axle (or use a couple sawhorses and clamps)