Re: [TCML] General Questions About a Pig Powered Coil (and anIntroduction)

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the hobby. From reading your post
and from the mention of your "real job" pedigree,
it sounds like you should already be adequately
informed on the basic concept of operation ;^)
I guess the only thing that puzzles me is why you
would want to limit the size of your proposed
secondary coil to 8" x 25", considering that you
have a massive variac assemby and a pole pig. I'm
assuming that your pig is of the typical coiler's
size choice range of 10 or 15 kVA and 14,400
volts? I mean it seems like you would be severe-
ly limiting the potential of your power supply to
"choke" it back to a 120 volt, 30 amp service
and "only" be shooting for 6 ft. discharges. And
trust me, if you are like 99% of the rest of us
coilers, those 6 foot discharges will be very im-
pressive at first light but you will soon grow bored
and want BIGGER sparks, especially when you al-
ready have a very adequate power supply to readily
accomplish that. And you certainly have the power
supply hardware already in tow for easily making
sparks 3X that, assuming that you obtain and/or
build the rest of the coil system components to spec.
Then again, you may be space challenged for storage
and/or operation of a giant Tesal coil, too - kind of
where I'm at with my current coil system.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33464569@N05/3765877471/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33464569@N05/3118469520/

Anyway, the you should normally aim for a secondary
coil aspect ratio (length vs diameter) in the 3:1 to the
5:1 range and a topload toroid with a major diameter
about equal to the secondary coil length and a minor
diameter about equal to the diameter of the secondary
coil. SO if you secondary coil is 8x25, that would also
be a good appr. size dimension to aim for with your
topload.

Good luck with your project,
David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Schmit" <Thomas.Schmit@xxxxxxx>